Monday, August 22, 2011

The summer is ending...

Well the summer is finally coming to an end. We are moving home from South Carolina this week!! I really can't believe it's here! Tanner and I are beyond excited to go home and see all our family and friends. We have missed everyone so much!! It has been a cool experience living in the South for the summer though, but.... now it's time to go home!;) I have a million little things I have been wanting to paint and craft up, but now it's to the point where I can't buy anything else because we have zip no more room in the car. Ha ha we have to load everything in our car that we own out here and haul it back to Utah. Not to mention we have a good 38 hour drive... that is if me and Tan don't kill each other first;) The other day I wanted to paint this cool rug, so I went out and bought a whole bucket of paint... then I could't find the right rug for the project. Now I have to throw away that whole dang thing of paint!!! Grrrr. So the fun creations will be soon to come. For now I have been whipping up some yummy food that you HAVE to try!!

(Sorry that I don't know how to take profesh pictures, and all these pictures look pretty crappy!)

So the other day Tanner tells me that his favorite dessert of all time is Rhubarb Pie. What the? I have never seen or heard of "rhubarb" He said his grandma grows it in her backyard and she always makes it. (Then I got scared because making anything that Grandma Sunnie makes... you just can't compete with that, she's an awesome cook!!) Well I went on the hunt for rhubarb. Super hard to find. Only a couple grocery stores had it in stock. This is what I found...


It's like long red celery pretty much. Anyways I ended up making this pie (pulling it out of the oven at 2:04 am of course) and Tanner told me it was the best thing he had ever eaten in his life. (I almost cried tears of straight up joy) This was the best news ever!!! I have now named this pie, "Tanner's Rhubarb Pie" it will always be the number one dessert recipe in my cook book from now on:) I had never made a pie before this and I seriously loved making it. There is something very therapeutic about creating a yummy pie!!

TANNER'S RHUBARB PIE:
-1 recipe for a double pie crust (my recipe is what made this pie!!)
-3 eggs
-2 cups white sugar
-1/4 cup all purpose flour
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-3 Tbl. milk
-1 Tbl. butter
-4 cups diced rhubarb
-I added about a cup of strawberries (optional)
Roll out pastry for the bottom crust, place in pie dish. Put rhubarb in crust. In a large bowl beat eggs slightly. Mix in sugar, flour, milk, vanilla, and butter. Pour mixture over rhubarb. Cover with top crust and seal edges. (I did a lattice pie top)
Bake at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Let cool.
(My pie crust recipe seriously made this pie. I had flour all over the floor and on my face and every where. It was a mess!! So I will show you how to make that another time;)

(Yeah don't have a rolling pin, so don't mind the vivint water bottle...)


It was very tart but sweet and tangy!! So freaking yummmyyy!!!

I created this dang good glaze to put over salmon a while ago. I decided I need to share it with everyone so you can experience the heavenlyness!!

SALMON HONEY SOY GLAZE:
(This is all "abouts")
-2 Tbsp. honey
-2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper
-just a splash or two of worcestershire sauce
Whisk it all together and you're good to go! Use a little pastry brush to coat all sides of the salmon. Keep coating it with glaze while grilling it. I use my cast iron skillet, and put a little bit of butter (or olive oil) in the pan so the salmon sizzles with crispiness ;) Throw in some mashed potatoes and parmeson asparagus and you have one killer yummy dinner. Enjoy!


Hey and don't judge the plastic 50 cent plate we have going on right here...

3 comments:

  1. Sorry that I've never even heard of rhubard. hahahah. but this looks so good! i need to become a chef like you! miss you kenz, hope i see you soon! XOXO annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the BEST cook! That dinner and pie looks delicious. You are an inspiration to me. I WILL cook like this. Someday. When I have a husband to cook for :) I love your blog and love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. K I love you guys and miss you so much!! Can we all go to lunch??

    ReplyDelete